PHNO-SB: NOY IN NEW ZEALAND: 'PRESIDENCY NOT EXPECTED'


NOY IN NEW ZEALAND: 'PRESIDENCY NOT
EXPECTED'

[PHOTO -President Aquino chats with New Zealand Prime Minister
John Key at a joint press conference at Parliament in Wellington, New Zealand
yesterday. AP]
AUCKLAND, OCTOBER 29, 2012 (PHILSTAR) By Ana Marie Pamintuan – He did
not believe the presidency was his destiny, he is not competing with his
esteemed parents, and he would be happy if he could put the country on the path
toward its "rightful place in the sun."
President Aquino recounted to local media here the developments leading up to
his fateful decision to seek the nation's highest post, and explained his goals
as Chief Executive.
"Did I expect it? Not especially… I wasn't aiming for it. I wanted to do my
part, but I wasn't volunteering to try and fix the mess that my predecessor
left," he told Radio New Zealand. "Do I think it was my destiny? No."
He recalled his father, the late Sen. Benigno Aquino Jr., telling him when he
was about 15 that "our people are the best people in the world."
It was martial law and he had asked his father why people they thought were
loyal to the senator would no longer even speak to them.
The President said he decided early on not to compete with his parents
"because they're my idols and my mentors… how does one compete with the
standard?"
"All I want is this: when the time comes that God calls me from this world, I
want to be able to say that I'm leaving it a lot better than how I found it,"
the President said.
"If we are successful – and so far we are, we have been very successful – and
that attitude becomes a permanence and if they, our people, have that confidence
to be able to demand of their leaders certain minimum standards, then this is
but the start of a rightful place in the sun. And if I was part of attaining
that dream, then I'm very glad that I was given that opportunity."




Chief News Editor: Sol
Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2012 by PHILIPPINE
HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved




PHILIPPINE HEADLINE
NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/phnotweet

This is the PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE (PHNO) Mailing List.

To stop receiving our news items, please send a blank e-mail addressed to: phno-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Please visit our homepage at: http://www.newsflash.org/

(c) Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
-------------------------------------------------------------Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/phno/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/phno/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
phno-digest@yahoogroups.com
phno-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
phno-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Backlinks
 

PH Headline News Online. Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved